Professor John P. Haisken-DeNew
Professorial Research Fellow
Deputy Director (Research), Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research
Phone: +61 3 9035 3811
Fax: +61 3 8344 2111
Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research
Level 5, Faculty of Business and Economics Building, 111 Barry Street, The University of Melbourne
Univ.-Prof. Dr. John P. Haisken-DeNew is Deputy Director of the Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research. He is currently on extended leave from his position as Professor of Economics and holder of the Chair “Economic Policy: Competition Theory and Policy” at the Ruhr University Bochum, Germany, which he has held since March 2009. He is Adjunct Professor of the Department of Economics at McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada since July 2008. His research interest focuses on education, health, competition policy, applied labor economics, applied micro econometrics, wage structure, migration, welfare and income inequality. He received his doctorate in economics at the University of Munich in 1995, with his dissertation on “Migration and Inter-Industry Wage Structure in Germany” receiving a grade of “very good”. He received his MA in Economics at the University of Toronto, Canada in 1988 and his BA Honours in Economics at Carelton University, Ottawa, Canada. He has published in many top ranking journals including American Economic Review, Review of Economics and Statistics, Journal of Human Resources, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Economic Journal, Journal of Comparative Economics, Journal of Health Economics, Journal of Population Economics, Applied Economics, Labour Economics. He was Co-Principal Investigator in the Special Research Unit SFB 475-B9 funded by the German Science Foundation “Counterfactual Analyses of Distributions of Labour Market Relevant Outcome Variables with a Special Focus on Individual Income”. Handelsblatt.com ranked him 13th in 2007 for “Publications in Top 5 Journals since 1997” for all German/Swiss/Austrian Universities and Research Organisations. He is the author of the panel data package for Stata called “PanelWhiz”.Professor John P. Haisken-DeNew's SSRN Author Page
Selected Publications / Papers
- Frijters, Paul, John P. Haisken-DeNew and Michael A. Shields (2011) "Socio-Economic Status, Health Shocks, Life Satisfaction and Mortality: Evidence from an Increasing Mixed Proportional Hazard Mode", Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, 29(2), 271281.
- Di Tella, Rafael, John P. Haisken-DeNew and Robert MacCulloch (2010) "Happiness adaptation to income and to status in an individual panel," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, 76(3), 834-852.
- John P. Haisken-DeNew, Markus H. Hahn (2010) "PanelWhiz: Efficient Data Extraction of Complex Panel Data Sets An Example Using the German SOEP", Journal of Applied Social Science Studies, 130(4), 643 654.
- Frijters, Paul, Harry Greenwell, John P. Haisken-DeNew and Michael A. Shields (2009) "How well do Individuals predict their Future Life Satisfaction? Evidence from Panel Data Following a Nationwide National Shock?", Canadian Journal of Economics, 42(4), 1326-1346.
- Kassenboehmer, Sonja C. and John P. Haisken-DeNew (2009) “You’re fired! The Causal Negative Effect of Unemployment on Life Satisfaction”, Economic Journal, 536(3) , 448-462.
- Frijters, Paul, Ingo Geishecker, John P. Haisken-DeNew and Michael A. Shields (2006) "Income and Life Satisfaction in Post-Transition Russia: A New Empirical Methodology for Panel Data", Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 108(3), 433-458.
- Brck, Tilman, John P. Haisken-DeNew, Klaus F. Zimmermann (2006) "Creating Low Skilled Jobs by Subsidizing Market-Contracted Household Work", Applied Economics, 38(8), 899-911.
- Frijters, Paul, John P. Haisken-DeNew and Michael A. Shields (2005) "Estimating the causal effect of income and health: Evidence from post-reunification East Germany", Journal of Health Economics, 24, 997-1017.
- Bauer, Thomas K. Patrick Dross and John P. Haisken-DeNew (2005) "Sheepskin Effects in Japan," International Journal of Manpower, 26(4), 320-335.
- Frijters, Paul, John P. Haisken-DeNew and Michael A. Shields (2004) "Money Does Matter! Evidence from Increasing Real Incomes and Life Satisfaction in East Germany Following Reunification", American Economic Review, 94(3), 730-740.
- Frijters , Paul, John P. Haisken-DeNew and Michael A. Shields (2004) "Investigating the Patterns and Determinants of Life Satisfaction in Germany Following Reunification", Journal of Human Resources, 39(3), 649-674
- Geishecker, Ingo and John P. Haisken-DeNew, (2004) "Landing on all Fours? Communist Elites in Post Soviet Russia", Journal of Comparative Economics, 32(4), 700-719.
- Haisken-DeNew, John P. (2001) "Data Surveys: A Hitchhiker's Guide to the World's Household Panel Data Sets", Australian Economic Review, 34(3), September, 356-66.
- Bauer, Thomas K. and John P. Haisken-DeNew (2001) "Employer Learning and the Returns to Schooling," Labour Economics 8, 161-180.
- Haisken-DeNew, John P. and Christoph M. Schmidt (1997) "Inter-Industry and Inter-Region Differentials: Mechanics and Interpretation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, 79, 3, August, 516-521.